Monday, January 11, 2016

January 10 and 11: Day 24 and 25

The big excitement for Sunday was SNOW!!! John has never seen snow before. He ran downstairs so excited. He opened the door and held it in his hands, like he just couldn't believe it. 

We left early for church, but he wanted to stand in the snow first

John attended the last church service with us. It's weird to think that next weekend he won't be with us. I spent the afternoon working at school, and Rick took the kids out to play in the snow. He spent a very long time going up and down the yard with the snow shovel. He was really fascinated by it!

I was back to work on Monday, so John was with Rick today. They ran a few errands and spent some time playing in the snow. Rick let him walk on the ice in our creek, but there was one shallow part where he told him not to go. I think something was lost in translation, because John stepped right where Rick told him not to and then fell in the creek. He acted it out for me tonight. SO FUNNY!




John got some mail today. Thanks, Eden! It came all the way from Africa. John got an African souvenir  to take back with him. Rick showed him where Namibia is on the map, so he could understand where it came from. 




We spent some time together talking through the app tonight. He loves maps, and loves to look at different places around the world. I showed him LA in California, because he will be flying there in just a few days. We looked at Arizona and Utah and I told him there were many fun things to see on that side of America. He showed me Mongolia and Inner Mongolia, I guess because Hannah is from Inner Mongolia. He searched for Kentucky, and the University of Kentucky came up. I asked if he would go to college, and he said "Yes, MIT!" Later he said Harvard. I told him if he works hard he could do it, but he told me it was too much money. I love that this kid has dreams! I also love that he is so curious and always researching about different topics. We have not let him get on the Internet the last few days because we can't monitor what he is doing. I let him do it tonight because I was right there with him. (Not that I could read what he was searching, but I like to keep my eye out for the ads that pop up, etc)

Rick took John to get KFC again today. He only has 3 days left to eat fast food! He told me through the app that it was very slow.... and then he said, "and it's a FAST FOOD restaurant." My, my. Haven't we started acting like an impatient American in our short time here. Ha!

We are expecting more snow tomorrow. It is supposed to be bad in the morning and John has an eye doctor appointment. I am not sure if we will make it to the appointment or not. I guess we will see what happens in the morning. 

Our days aren't too exciting as we near the end. I am trying to wrap my brain around packing and saying good-bye to him. It will feel different around here without him. 

Arm wrestling... this has nothing to do with this post. Just typical behavior with these 2!

They like to try to pick each other up. John is proud of himself for picking up Andrew. (If you could see how skinny his arms are, you would be proud, too!) Notice Andrew is in shorts and a t-shirt and our friend from southern China is in his winter coat, with 4 layers of shirts. He is also wearing 2 pairs of pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment