Tuesday, December 29, 2015

December 29: day 12

I'm typing this update from my phone so I will apologize now for any typos! John was up bright and early this morning. Thankfully, Rick was up getting ready for work so I didn't have to get up. We spent the morning playing at home. He is loving minecraft so that is keeping him interested and occupied on these early wake up days. 

This afternoon we ventured out to the movies to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. I was a little worried that he wouldn't like it and would want to go home. It would be awful to watch a movie in another language. I got him a giant tub of popcorn and a Sprite and I think that was the ticket to success! He laughed at many of the parts and it kept his interest. He was tired at the end, so you will see he isn't too thrilled in the picture. 

We rushed home to meet a family that was coming over to see John. I think he is getting used to meeting new people. He no longer drops his head or acts shy. He will walk up, shake hands and say "nice to meet you!" We spent the evening playing Monopoly and ping pong, then had some pizza and went to bed. It was another great day with a very special boy! 

He told me today that he misses China, but he likes the US, too. He speaks fondly of his life in China. He is a very happy kid, and is obviously so loved. I showed him a calendar and we crossed off all the days he has been here and then we counted how many days until he goes home. Like always he said "ok" and then smiled. He is such a sweet kid. A little later I saw him counting the days again. I can only imagine how hard it is to be in his position. 

John LOVES to tease me about UK. I reminded him we have a game in 4 days. He said "no, no UK" and leaned back in his seat and pretended to snore, as if UK was the most boring thing ever. Ha! He has a great sense of humor. I know he will love the game. He just likes to get a reaction out of me! He told us last night that he doesn't like UL or UK... That he supports the Gators. As in the Florida Gators. What?!?!? That hurt. It was almost as bad as saying he was a Louisville fan. Ok, not that bad, but close. When I took him on a tour of my school last week, he saw the Gator stuff in our school library. We have a few of those obnoxious Gator fans in our school! I guess that is why he decided to pick the Gators. Rick and I got a big laugh out of it. We both looked at him like "are you kidding me???"

I have noticed that he is picking up some more English phrases. I say the same things every day (good morning, are you ok, are you hungry, is that good) and he doesn't need the app anymore to answer those things. He told me today "bathroom" and "I'm hungry" in English. I also love the way he says Andrew's name. He says AND-A-REW, but he drags the "rew" out. It is so stinking cute. 

Many families are reaching out to ask about John. It is awesome to be apart of this. I can't wait to see the family God has picked out for John!! We are hoping and praying his file will be locked before he returns. It will certainly be easier to say "see ya later" than good-bye. We adore this kid!


No comments:

Post a Comment